Athletics Participation Data (SB 1349)
PUSD SB 1349 Athletic Participation Reports
2021-22 Athletic Participation Report (extended details from Title IX Audit)
In addition to the federal Title IX regulations, it is the policy of the State of California that all persons, regardless of their gender, should enjoy freedom from discrimination of any kind in the educational institution of the state. The laws found in the CALIFORNIA EDUCATION CODE 221.5-231.5 are collectively known as the Sex Equity in Education Act.
Per this California Education Code, the District is required to annually report and post its gender equity reports and maintain data for three school years. The rules about this athletic participation data collection are slightly different than federal Title IX regulations. For Title IX participation, all athletes rostered on the first day of competition AND those that join the roster later are deemed participants. For state reporting, we follow the details of the law and report only athletes on the roster on the first day of competition, and the number of teams at each competition level.
SENATE BILL NO. 1349 221.9
Commencing with the 2015–16 school year and every year thereafter, each public elementary and secondary school in the state, including each charter school, that offers competitive athletics shall publicly make available at the end of the school year all of the following information:
- The total enrollment of the school, classified by gender
- The number of pupils enrolled at the school who participate in competitive athletics, classified by gender
- The number of boys’ and girls’ teams, classified by sport and by competition level
- The data required pursuant to subdivision
- shall reflect the total number of players on a team roster on the official first day of competition
- The school shall make the information specified in subdivision publicly available
- The materials used by a school to compile the information specified in subdivision shall be retained by the school for at least three years after the information is posted on the Internet